Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Portal chains, portraits, and wait, is that verses I see?

   Obviously, going into the portal first, meant that I was the first one to arrive at our destination.
   "Hey Henry, Elli's on her way, and she has something to tell yo- Oww!"
   Elli stood in front of me, arms crossed. "Lexi, I told I would tell him after we find the jewels! You have absolutely no right to-" Suddenly, a blush spread across her face. "Oh, s-sorry Henry. I, um, didn't notice you there."
    "Right Elli, you didn't notice the guy staring at you, grinning like an idiot." I said sarcastically.
     Henry flushed furiously. "I was not grinning like an idiot!"
     I raised an eyebrow. "Then you admit to staring at her?"
     "I didn't do that either! Elli needs to be treated with respect, and that does not mean staring at her and grinning like an idiot, which you wrongly accused me of doing!"
     "I'm the same rank as Elli, and you never treat me with respect!"
     "Well, you don't deserve it."
      Elli stepped in. "Look, I know both of you were separated for most of your lives, but can you catch up on the sibling quarrels later? We have a job to do."
      "Sir, yes, sir!" I mock-saluted Elli.
      "Okay then, Lexi, did you receive a small portrait of yourself? Can you give it to me?"
      "Sir, yes, sir!" I reached into my pocket and tossed it at her.
      "Lexi, just stop."
      "Sir,yes-" Elli shot a glare at me. "Ugh, fine."
      Elli reached into her pocket and pulled out five more portraits of different people. Looking closer, I saw that they were portraits of the other Chosen, including Elli.
       "Do you know about the Jewel's Safeguard yet?" Elli asked, looking towards me.
        I scratched the back of my head sheepishly. "Um, no?"
        Elli took a deep breath. "The jewels were made so that anyone could use them, in case something happened to the Chosen. However, if a jewel falls into the hands of someone with a hint of dark magic, it activates the Jewel's Safeguard, which immediately transports the jewel to a safe Verse. The portraits, when put together in a certain way, create a chain of portals that lead to the Verses that have the jewels. Luckily, I managed to make a few stop-overs to the other countries and collect these. Any questions?"
        I raised my hand slightly. "What's a Verse?"
        Elli facepalmed. "You're in the Mystique, and you still don't know?!"
        "Sorry!!!"
        "Well, anyway, Verses are the worlds that were created by imagination or dreams but haven't been written down, or made into a movie yet."
        "That makes so much sense now, thanks!" I rolled my sleeves up. "Now let's get crackin'!"

 A few hours later...

        "Ugh, I can't take it anymore!!!" I screamed, clutching at my hair. "My head hurts, I'm starving, and we've been staring at these for ages!!!" I threw one of the portraits down on the pile and stomped off. 
        A loud click and the sound of gears whirring came from behind me. I whirled around just in time to see the rest of the portraits click together, and transform into something almost unrecognizable.  
        Elli leaped up and hugged me. "Hooray, we can get on with it now!!!" She bent down to unlatch the seashell jewel and pressed it into a slot. A tell-tale rainbow light burst from the jewel.
        Henry looked at me. "Well Lexi, it is your mission..."
        I grinned back at him, unashamedly. "Don't worry, I'll get those jewels back no matter what!"  
    

3 comments:

  1. Verses?.... Mind if I use that? Sounds like a cool idea that I think the Realm Travelers could have a lot of fun with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure! Actually, I have this whole relationship between Realms and Verses planned out. If you want, I can work it into the next post...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's be great, because I think I can make that into my next long-term story arc once the whole, prophecy thing, is done.

      Delete